ORTHODONTICS FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear Aligners
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens, is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) – Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth – Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen – Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth – Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence – Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse – Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible
Invisalign comes as a series of clear removable aligners that straighten your teeth, little by little, and unlike fixed braces, there are no wires or brackets. This means there is no metal and they are nearly invisible when you wear them Invisalign aligners can be removed at any time during treatment, you can eat whatever you want, maintain good oral hygiene, and choose to remove them briefly for special occasions such as weddings or big meetings. Your lifestyle remains intact With Invisalign you can maintain your teeth more effectively compared to fixed braces.
Invisalign® treats a range of straightening issues, ranging from minor tooth movements to more complex cases. Whatever the issue, the result is a new, more even smile that you will want everyone to see. Clinchek or Virtual 3D plan can show you how your teeth will look like during and after your Orthodontic treatment even before you start it. ClinCheck shows the series of movements your teeth are projected to go through over the course of the treatment. This enables you to see what your teeth are expected to look like when the treatment is finished and monitor changes as you go.
Your Orthodontist will take the impressions of your teeth. And submit these to the Invisalign lab along with your pre treatment records. Invisalign will send the initial treatment clinchek according to the treatment objectives and goal, This Clinchek can be modified till you and your orthodontists are satisfied with the treatment outcome. Once you approve the treatment plan, the company will start making the aligners which will be shipped to your orthodontists.
You need to wear the clear aligners for 20 – 22 hours a day. You are required to remove them during eating and brushing your teeth. Single set of aligners is worn for about 10-14 days and then you progress to the next set of aligners. This continues till you finish your treatment and are put on retainers.
The time it takes to complete the treatment varies from person to person, depending on the complexity of each straightening issue.